New Orleans has been on my mind for a few weeks now (ever since our short trip back in December) especially because it has been on the news a lot with the Super Bowl and most recently the festivities leading up to “Mardi Gras” or “Fat Tuesday“, which is the last day of the Carnival season and it always falls the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. Today is Fat Tuesday, tomorrow is the beginning of the Lenten season for many Christians around the world.
Mardi Gras or Carnival as it is known in places such as Brazil, Trinidad, and many other countries, including Panama is a celebration which harbors many fond memories from my days growing up in Panama, where it is a major event. The floats, costumes, and partying that goes along with Carnival are dizzying, but so much fun!Strangely enough, I have not participated in a true Carnival celebration since I moved here over 30 years ago, and for some reason I seem to prefer it that way, keep the memories going based on some long ago perceptions, go figure. However, the spectacle of New Orleans Bourbon Street (off-season) was more than enough to remind me of the fun that could be had during the festive season of Carnival. One thing for sure I discovered that New Orleans is a very unique place; you have to go more than once to truly appreciate its charms, especially if you like the historical perspectives or love cultural experiences.
I left the city of NOLA feeling that I must go back soon so I can explore those areas I missed, talk about a bucket list!
Happy Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Martes de Carnaval–or whatever you call it wherever you are be it New Orleans, Panama, Brazil or Trinidad. Let the Good Times Roll!
- MaggieMoose: Fat Tuesday Portrait (maggiemoosetracks.wordpress.com)
- Mardi Gras throwdown – New Orleans vs Mobile by the numbers (al.com)
- Mardi Gras, Working Mom Style! (chatonsworld.blogspot.com)
- This History of Mardi Gras (stlouisanshenanigans.wordpress.com)
- Laissez les bon temps rouler! (lsufamily.wordpress.com)
- Fat Tuesday dining deals and parties (newsnet5.com)
- Mardi Gras Day (Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday) (margegower.com)
- Happy Mardi Gras! (frenchtwistedwoman.com)
- Throwing a Fun and Friendly Mardi Gras Party for Kids (personalcreations.com)